We have received many calls this week regarding an article featured in the Albany Extra newspaper on the 3rd of August, (‘Survey of park reveals old jail’), in which it was insinuated that there had been a new discovery of a Gaol/Police Lockup in Lawley Park, Albany.
The Albany Historical Society would like to respond with the following statement:
The Albany Historical Society read the Extra’s article with a degree of disbelief. The implication that this was a new discovery is farcical: we have known about the existence of the Lawley Park Gaol/Police Lockup since our groups foundation over sixty years ago. Local people have known of the existence of the site for many years before that.
It would have been more appropriate if this article had read that this team was looking for, and had found, the actual foundations of the building, rather than the implication of a ￼discovery of a building previously ￼unknown to local history that one would, and could reasonably deduce from the newspaper article. ￼
The Gaol site at Lawley Park is intrinsically related to the Old Convict Gaol’s history. The existence of the Gaol/lockup in the vicinity of what is now Lawley Park is extensively documented in the Heritage Council’s record for the Park along with other reference material. We even know that Lady Anne Spencer, laid the corner stone for the building in 1836.